Friday, March 18, 2011

Zaachila Market

Thursday is market day in the village of Zaachila, about 20 minutes south of Oaxaca. I went there for the first time this week and was very pleasantly surprised at the size of the market and the wide selection of products. As typical of markets in Mexico, abundance is in everything, see the woman surrounded by mangoes and oranges.

La señora makes caramelized popcorn and colors the caramel with red, yellow and green. It was SO good, I was sorry I had only bought one package. I wanted a photo of the popcorn, she thought I wanted her photo and immediately posed while the ladies adjacent to her gave her posing advice. I had to shift my camera from the popcorn to her face so fast as I didn't want to miss an opportunity.






Baskets are used to carry products to market or for washing clothes. The clothes are placed in the baskets and water is poured through.

Different types of beans on this table including the red beans in the center which I bought. Note the large sized grayish black beans in the front, very unusual.

A box of sugar, called panela or piloncillo. It is very hard and is broken apart or grated or melted. This is the sugar used to caramelize the garbanzo beans from a previous post.






2 comments:

  1. Of course you wanted a picture of la señora! Try explaining to her that you wanted to post a picture of the popcorn on your blog site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She told me I had one chance and make it quick.

    ReplyDelete